Assistant Pastor - Mercy & Pastoral Care
Location: Kirribilli, NSW
Date advertised: 30th October 2017
Job Type: Full time
Closing Date: 20th November 2017
Church by the Bridge (also known as St John’s Anglican Church, Kirribilli) is seeking expressions of interest for the position of Assistant Pastor (Mercy & Pastoral Care).
It is expected that the successful applicant will be appointed by January 2018.
Church by the Bridge was originally a church plant from St Thomas’ North Sydney.
Having just celebrated our 12th anniversary, we are now 5 gatherings with close to 700 members. We are a mix of demographics, with lots of singles, many young families, and an increasing number of older parishioners.
The parish is also quite diverse, with young professionals, empty nesters, a large housing commission and retirement village.
Our mission is to ‘Live for Jesus and love like Jesus’, with a focus on joyful gatherings, real relationships, deliberate discipleship & engaging evangelism.
The Assistant Pastor will be an ordained deacon or presbyter (or equivalent) with substantial experience, and will become an integral part of the leadership team for the next phase in the life of Church by the Bridge.
The ministry tasks of the successful applicant will be determined, after prayer and dialogue, by his gifts and experience but our principal desire is to find an applicant who can oversee Pastoral Care and Mercy Ministries.
The successful applicant will need to be a committed evangelical Christian, humble (to work on a team), joyful (to enhance the team), hardworking, an example to the flock, a preacher and teacher of God’s word, a passion for evangelism to the lost, faithful to the gospel and already fruitful in a similar role.
He will work with the Rector towards the vision and mission set by him, the staff and Parish Council.
The key tasks of the successful applicant are likely to include:
1. Director of Mercy Ministries
- Oversight of strategy for mercy ministries across our parish (including Housing Commission, Nursing Home)
- Equipping & training volunteers in mercy ministries
- Initiating new mercy ministries, as appropriate
2. Director of Pastoral Care
- Reviewing our Pastoral Care systems
- Implementation of new Pastoral Care strategy across our churches
- Equipping & Training of volunteers in Pastoral Care Team
3. Gatherings: Congregational pastor of 1 gathering
- Gather & lead focus team around the ministry area strucutre
- Rostering & resourcing of gatherings
- Pastoral care of members - proactive catch ups & reactive counseling
- Integration of new members (via interviews post-belonging course)
- Regular preaching (as directed by Senior Pastor)
- Communication with congregation
- 1:1 discipleship of 2 or 3 men
- Congregational specific outreach, as appropriate
- Building ‘congregational community’ (e.g. socials, brunches, dinners)
- Pastoral care of Student Minister specifically attached to that congregation
Other responsibilities: Occasional offices (baptisms, weddings, funerals), as required
Church by the Bridge will remunerate the position in line with the Anglican Church of Sydney’s guidelines for stipend and allowances of an Assistant Minister (or Rector if the successful applicant is currently in that role).
Applications close on 20th November.
Please send your application, CV and the contact details of two referees to firstname.lastname@example.org or to Rev. Paul Dale, PO BOX 131, Milsons Point NSW 1565
Visit http://www.cbtb.org.au for further information on the church.