Location: Sydney, NSW
Date advertised: 19th May 2022
Job Type: Part time
Closing Date: 30 June 2022
The Parish of Church Hill is seeking expressions of interest for a one day a week role as the Director of our City Care Ministries. This position is the result of a generous grant, and would allow us to grow in one of our ‘Mission Goals’, that of reaching and caring for the marginalised and homeless in the City of Sydney with the love of Jesus.
Church Hill has over ten years’ experience in work among the homeless, rough sleepers and the marginalised of the city. We call it our City Care Ministries, where we make friends and build trust with needy people. We know them, and we love them, and relieve their needs where we can. The ministry began with mostly lay people with the heart to reach out, care for, build trust with, and evangelise new friends among the homeless.
It has grown to become four things:
- A hearty lunch 6 times a year. It goes for 3 hours and is not about the food. It is about relationships. There is a small Gospel talk at the beginning, and a prayer. There is a prayer of repentance on a card given to each person each time. The hearty lunch is meant to be a symbol, in some way, of the love of God: generous.
- A ‘shop’ where everything is free, in which we give away food, blankets, hygiene products and other practical things.
- The lunch funnels into a Bible Study on 6 Tuesday mornings a year, called ‘Bible and Breakfast’. They eat a big hearty breakfast, and we have an evangelistic Bible Study. This is how we do it: https://gotherefor.com/offer.php?intid=29293&changestore=true
- We have begun a weekly evening meal and Bible Study with the homeless on Wednesdays. The idea is that this group considers how to reach their own community with the Gospel. Not everyone is Christian, but everyone is welcome. It is a weekly evangelistic Bible Study.
The role will be for one day a week. The successful applicant will need to be a committed evangelical Christian with a heart for the marginalised who (hopefully) joins the church as a minister. The role could expand to assist other churches seeking to grow this kind of ministry.
The successful applicant will be required to:
- Develop and grow the existing City Care Ministries
- Be organised, able to lead, equip, and grow a team of committed volunteers, releasing them for the ministry.
- Be involved in leading and growing a Bible Study for the homeless and marginalised.
- Take an oversight role of the 6 annual City Care lunches, 6 annual Bible and Breakfasts, and weekly Bible Study that meets on a Wednesday night throughout the year.
- Connect with 2 or 3 churches to initiate new City Care Ministries.
Church Hill will remunerate the position in line with the Anglican Church of Sydney’s guidelines for stipend and allowances of an Assistant Minister.
Please send your letter of application, CV and the contact details of two referees to email@example.com or to Rev. Justin Moffatt 3 York Street, Sydney, NSW, 2000.
We will leave the position open until we find the right person.