Location: Normanhurst, NSW
Date advertised: 16th May 2023
Job Type: Full time, Permanent
Closing Date: 30 June 2023
St Stephen’s Anglican Church Normanhurst is a vibrant and growing church community with four congregations and a range of exciting ministries developing across all ages. Our Mission is “to Know Christ and Make Him Known”. Our Ministry Vision is “to be a community committed to Christ as Lord, transformed by his grace, living for his glory and sharing his good news in all the world”.
By God’s grace, we have recently seen substantial growth in our youth and young adult ministries.
Over the last 10 years our weekly youth ministry has expanded to become a sizeable ministry to over 150 youth and leaders (school years 5-12) led by a committed group of young adults in the parish. An energetic program of discipleship has been developed to support this (including large yearly youth camps, engagement with external conferences for emerging leaders, discipleship groups through the weeks and on Friday evenings).
This growth has fed strongly into our Sunday 7pm congregation, which is now a large and energetic congregation of youth, young adults and some older members. Alongside the community and fellowship these ministries provide, they centre strongly on the study of God’s word and its application to issues faced by Christian youth in the contemporary world.
We are seeking a gospel-hearted person to join our staff team to continue to lead & develop our youth ministry, offer pastoral leadership at our 7pm evening church (in particular), and fulfil a range of other ministries across the parish.
You will be a committed evangelical Christian, with a passion to support and develop the pastoral, spiritual and social maturity of our large youth community (school year 5-12, young adults) as they transition into lives of fruitful adult discipleship. You will also be engaged in developing a range of other important areas of the St Stephen’s ministries.
The requirements of the role include:
1. Preaching, teaching and pastoral engagement across a broad range of parish ministries, working with the Senior Minister and staff team in discipleship, evangelism and pastoral care.
2. Pastoral leadership at the 7pm congregation (in partnership with the Young Adult’s Minister), providing preaching, pastoral care and leadership of this congregation and its ministries.
3. Overseeing the development of the parish youth program and ministries, including:
- the development of appropriate teaching curriculum and supporting ministry systems
- demonstrated capacity to recruit, mentor and mobilise multiple cohorts of young adult and junior leaders as they serve across the youth ministries (Years 5-6, 7-12)
- provide clear and consistent communication to the church and parent body regarding the youth program, fielding pastoral concerns as required.
- maintain safe ministry practices within the youth ministry and its leadership
- work with the Children’s Minister, Young Adult Minister & other staff to ensure good transitions into the youth group and adult ministries as age and life stages dictate.
4. Working with a capable and committed parish staff team to develop other ministry initiatives as the needs and opportunities of the parish develop.
This is a full-time permanent position for an ordained or lay minister and is remunerated according to the Sydney Diocesan remuneration guidelines. Theological qualifications & demonstrated experience in an Anglican parish context are essential. Australian citizenship or permanent residency is essential.
Please apply by sending your expression of interest, including current Curriculum Vitae and the names of two referees to Baden Stace (Senior Minister) at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 02 9487 3730 if you would like more information. The position commences in early 2024.
Applications Close: Friday 30 June 2023.
Please be aware that this job ad was placed and authorised only for the sydneyanglicans.net website.