Chaplain/Head of Mission
Location: Port Hedland, WA
Date advertised: 7th November 2019
Job Type: Full time
Closing Date: 6 December 2019
The Anglican Diocese of North West Australia and the Port Hedland Seafarers Centre hare a big vision - to bring the gospel to all the nations. The Centre provides spiritual and practical care to seafarers, some 30,000 of whom visit the Centre each year.
You will lead the Centre team and promote the gospel to seafarers. Your primary responsibility will be to oversee the chaplaincy and the Centre operations to ensure delivery of quality programs and services through good management of resources. Reporting to you are the Operations Manager (who oversees the day-to-day operations) and the Assistant Chaplain. For more information see http://www.phseafarers.org/
The wide ranging duties of this role require you to be passionate about helping seafarers, flexible, well organized, innovative and committed to faithful service.
The Centre provides onshore recreation, counselling, communications, currency exchange and shopping facilities to 30,000 seafarers and 9,000 tourists each year. With 20 paid staff and a small team of volunteers, the business turns over several million dollars per year. The Centre is also a tourist attraction, running the Port Hedland Visitor Centre, launch tours of the harbour and bus tours of Fortescue Metals Group stockyard and ship-loading operations.
- An ordained Anglican Minister eligible to hold a Licence from the Diocesan Bishop.
- A degree in Theology from a recognised theological or Bible college.
- Demonstrated skills in evangelism, pastoral care, Bible teaching and chaplaince
- Demonstrated outstanding level of communication and inter-personal skills.
- Demonstrated high level skills in problem solving and conflict resolution
- Demonstrated skills and experience in leadership, management and administration
- Demonstrated negotiation skills and experience in developing and maintaining relationships
- Demonstrated ability to motivate teams and simultaneously manage several projects
- An understanding of the aims and objectives of Mission to Seafarers
- Personal experience of the sea or an understanding of seafarers and their welfare
- An understanding of the aims and objectives of the Diocese
Deadline: 6 December 2019
For more information about the role, contact Diocesan Registrar Khim Harris on 0433 033 174 or Bishop Gary Nelson on (08) 9921 7277.
To apply, see https://www.anglicandnwa.org/vacancies to download a Job Application Pack, including a detailed role description and information about the attractive working conditions.