Location: Gordon, NSW
Date advertised: 24th November 2021
Job Type: Part time
Closing Date: 30 December 2021
Music is an integral part of the life of St John the Evangelist Anglican Church, which follows the Anglo-Catholic tradition. Under the leadership of the Rector, the Organist/DoM leads an important ministry that reaches out to the entire parish, choir members, members of the congregation, and the broader community.
The Organist/DoM will recognize and facilitate the pastoral, educational, and musical dimensions of this position, all for the glorification of God through music and worship. Pastoral concern for members of the choir, other musicians, and the parish is to exemplify the Christian spirit of this church. As an educator, the Organist/DoM will teach music and explain worship/liturgical concepts. As a musician, the Organist/DoM will be diligent in preparation and performance, and will cooperate with others to provide and empower the highest possible standard of worship in this parish.
The Organist/DoM will report directly to the Rector of St John’s, and will supervise and work collegially with the Assistant Director of Music. The Organist/DoM will meet regularly with the Rector, the Asst DoM, church staff and others as required to further strengthen the music ministry. The Organist/DoM must be able both to work independently and as a member of a team.
Information about the organs may be found on St John’s website at: St John's Organs
Further, the Organist/DoM will:
- Following the liturgy of the Australian Anglican Church, and in consultation with the Rector and Assistant Director of Music, choose hymns, psalms and other music appropriate for each service.
- Provide organ music and direct the choirs at the 8:00am and 9:30am services regularly scheduled on Sunday morning.
- Provide organ music and direct the choirs at monthly Evensong services, held the second Sunday of the month, March through November.
- Provide organ and choral music for additional services during the year, including, but not limited to those in the Advent and Christmas seasons, Lenten season, Holy Week and Easter.
- Lead choir rehearsals on a weekly basis, with additional rehearsals as may be necessary, to prepare choir members for all services during which they sing.
- Additional opportunities exist, such as providing music for weddings and funerals, including engaging soloists and/or instrumentalists as may be requested.
- In conjunction with the Rector and the Churchwardens, prepare a strategic plan and budget for the current and future needs of the music program.
- Ensure that the instruments are well maintained, arrange for periodic tuning, refurbishment, etc.
The Organist/DoM must have possession of, or the ability to obtain, a valid NSW Working with Children Check and, within 60 days of hire, successfully complete the Safe Ministry Training as provided by the Sydney Diocese of the Anglican Church.
- Tertiary qualification in organ performance/studies, or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of five years’ experience as a musician in a Christian church.
- Excellent people skills and leadership ability, with strong verbal and written communication skills.
Please forward a copy of your resume, along with a statement that outlines your views on how music supports worship to:
Rev Robert Happer
by email; email@example.com
or by post: St John's Church, PO Box 295, Gordon, NSW 2072